Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I guess I didn't get the memo.

A couple weeks ago, at 4 o'clock on a Friday, I was told I needed to be in Washington D.C. on Monday morning for business. Nothing like making last minute travel arrangements, but hey, it wasn't my dime.

Besides, I'd never been to D.C. and always wanted to go. I was staying in a hotel within walking distance of the White House, so while inconvenient to come up at the last minute, I'm a go-with-the-flow kind of guy and this will be fun.

Yah, they call it a 'business trip', but we all know how these are right?

Do a little work. Eat well for free. Have an adult beverage or 7 while "networking" with your bosses and co-workers. Call the spouse and tell them you've been working your ass off and would rather be at home with him/her and the kids who you can hear screaming and fighting in the background.

Well imagine my surprise when I literally had to work until all hours of the night on this trip. Not even getting a dinner outside of the hotel. This is how close I got to the Washington Monument the one night I tried to hussle out and be a tourist before being called to come back to the hotel and work on an "update" we just received:


So who's bright idea was it to change business trips into actual working trips!!?? The nerve!

BTW, this is what the Jefferson Memorial looks like from a cab on the way back to the airport:

And I think this is the Capital in the distance from the airport:


Not exactly the vacation, errrr, business trip I was hoping for.




No comments: