Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Father's Day recap

Ok, I planned on catching you up, but first I have to tell you about My Father's Day.

I have been given the greatest Father's Day gift I could have imagined!!

So indulge me as I explain.

I am an Oklahoma State University fan and alum. Some of you might know who Mr. Iba is. (Henry "Hank" Iba) Mr. Iba coached OSU basketball in the 40's and took OSU (then Oklahoma A&M) to become the first ever NCAA back-to-back national champions. He also coached the USA Olympic team in a gold medal match against the Russians. Probably the most controversial game in Olympic history as the Americans were completely robbed of their gold medal as well as Mr. Iba's wallet that was stolen from his pocket during the aftermath on the court.
Historic Gallagher-IBA Arena is where OSU plays basketball and defends their wrestling legacy every year and has been voted the nation's #1 arena many years running.
Anyway, here in Oklahoma, a few years ago in honor of the man Mr. Iba was on and off the field, the Henry P. Iba Citizen Athlete Award was established. Warrick Dunn was the male recipient in 2003. This year, it's Derrick Brooks. And this year, my wife surprised me with tickets, that in my terms are not cheap, to the event.
My world's come together as a legend from OSU is part of honoring a legend from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. There are only 2 Bucs I've ever wanted autographs from. Lee Roy Selmon and Derrick Brooks. I got Lee Roy's a couple years after he got in the Hall of Fame on an old Bucco Bruce helmet. I wanted to get the new helmet with Derrick's autograph but unfortunately this is a black tie affair and only autographs on the program are allowed. I am so excited I can't hardly stand it.
Somehow I have to find the line of reaction at the event.
Choice One is to stand back shyly in awe too scared to approach Mr. Brooks and just be happy I was in his presence much like my technique at singles bars was before I met my wife. How I got a wife with that type of awesomeness I'll never now.
Choice 2 is completely embarrass myself and wife by gushing all over Derrick and rambling at a speed no human would understand about how I love him, the Bucs, his person, etc.
All in the most manly of terms of course.

Anyway, just had to tell someone about what a great Father's Day this has become. It's my first without my Dad who passed in February in Lake City, FL. But this gift means so much to me, I have to think he had a hand in it and is as excited for me as I am.

No comments: